Manual testing is not dead!. It lives on forever!.
But it is the need of the hour to adopt and leverage automation testing tools.
To speed up testing and improve the quality of your products.
As we know, automation testing is a substitute for manual testing. It is useful for testing repetitive and routine scenarios which are tedious and time-consuming.
However, it can’t replicate manual testing where it excels (in delivering greater UX).
Based on the application you are going to test, the QA team can have an idea of what percentage of testing can be done manually and what percentage of testing can be done through test automation.
What are the advantages of Automated Testing Tool?
- It does not require human intervention.
- It is more reliable, faster in execution, versatile, and more powerful.
- It is mostly preferred for regression testing.
- As the process can be recorded, it is reusable.
- Test scripts run automatically without human intervention.
- It increases the test coverage.
- It is affordable in the long haul when compared to manual testing.
When to prefer automation testing?
Prefer Automation testing over Manual Testing in the following scenarios.
- To handle repetitive and time-consuming tasks
- To avoid human errors
- When UI is apparently stable
- To perform Non-functional testing such as performance testing, load testing, and stress testing
- Regression Testing
- Parallel testing
- To stimulate a vast number of users for performance testing
- Other critical functionalities which we can’t rely on manual testing
So, let’s dive into top automation testing tools that ease repetitive tasks.
There are mainly 3 types of Test Automation Tools such as
- Open-source automation tools: It is a software-licensing model in which the source code of the software is free to use and managed by the community. Anyone can use the source code and programmers can modify it as per their requirement under certain restrictions.
- Commercial automation tools: It is pay to use software and used for commercial purposes. It has more features, security, and support than open-source automation tools. Users will be charged based on the number of users or licences. Only the users who have purchased the licence can access the software code.
- Custom framework: There will be some niche projects that a single open-source or commercial automation testing tool that can’t fulfil the testing needs. This type of project requires the capabilities of both types of automation testing tools. This is because of the diverse testing environment and processes. In such a scenario, the QA teams need to develop customized solutions. This custom framework will be complicated and requires technical expertise and profound knowledge of the latest automation and software testing technologies and tools.
Okay, then how do you know the right tool for your software and applications?
Tool evaluation criteria:
- First question – Necessity!
Is your business really require an automation tool?
Because not all businesses need not adopt automation. Some may still succeed with the right manual testing processes.
Check the ‘When do prefer automation testing?’ section in the article. If your project has the same need as aforementioned in that section, you can go for automation testing.
Note: Identifying where your application or software requires manual and automation testing accurately is a tough task. So, businesses must hire expert software testers than regret later.
- Second Question – Technical skills!
Does your team have adequate skills to adopt and best utilize new tools?
- Your QA team must have knowledge of programming as automation is too technical. If you use an open-source automation tool for your project, they must have the ability to write and execute test scripts. Of course, there are codeless automation testing solutions that have rolled out into the market for those who have a limited IT background.
- Third question – Selection criteria!
What features you are looking for?
To find out the right tool for your testing needs, you must take into consideration the most important aspects mentioned here.
- Supported platforms,
- Programming languages,
- CI/CD integration capabilities,
- Cross-browser testing tools
- Reporting functionality,
- Script maintenance and usability,
- Technical support (for open-source automation testing, the community will help when you encounter any Testing Challenges and on the other hand, for commercial automation tools, check the official documentation to know what support you can get), and
- Others based on your requirement.
- Fourth question – Affordability!
Is the tool budget-friendly?
Based on your budget constraints, you can opt for the right tool that suits your requirements. Test automation is expensive at an earlier stage but it is cost-effective in the long run if your QA team is adept at analyzing budget thoroughly and acting accordingly. The price for the tool includes license fee, fees for odd-ons, support fee, training fee, upgrade fee, etc.
- Next what?
- You might pick the tool that suits your testing needs.
Let me suggest Qatts.
Why choose Qatts?
QATTS(Quality Assurance Total Testing Software) is a leading cloud-based automation testing services provider. It offers test automation services to execute functional tests for API, Web, Desktop, and Mobile. We can say, it is a one-stop destination for website testing, database testing, mobile testing, API testing, data-driven testing, etc.
Its features include 100% cloud testing solutions, Data-driven Strategy, Functional testing, API testing, Test Data Management, Agile- CI/CD Integration, Database testing, Web Interface, Low code automation, Multi-branch support, Flexible execution, and Real-Time Insights, etc.
It’s easy to use interface that lets you create, modify, and run test suites. And its multi-code branch support helps you manage test automation separately. You will be charged only based on the number of test cases.
With this cloud-based software, you can get improved test coverage and ROI. This tool has a little learning curve as it offers low code solutions.
Besides, there are many other tools you can consider such as Selenium, Katalon Studio, SoapUI, Appium, HPE Unified Functional Testing (UFT) or UFT One, Cucumber, Test Complete, and many more.
Many projects fail because of not picking the right test automation tool for their requirements. So, study each tool thoroughly and check whether it meets your testing needs or not. Then, choose the best fit for your project.
Still, in confusion about what tool to choose?.
Opt for TAaaS!
Test Automation as a Service (TAaaS) is a service offered by Qatts.
- It includes Processes (Frameworks, Methodologies, Best practices), People (Expert QA team/Managers), and Tools (QATTS).
- We, QATTS, handle everything related to automation testing. Our dedicated QA experts analyse your testing needs and design & develop a test automation strategy that improves your ROI.
- This service is affordable. It minimizes hiring costs and you will be charged based on the number of test cases you require.
To sum up, there is a necessity to adopt automation solutions for your applications and software. It’s quality!.
As the businesses are releasing software and applications at a jet speed, it has become the need of the hour for the QA team to test and ensure quality in line with the releases.
Don’t choose the leading automation testing tool instead choose the right one. If you best utilize the tool, you will reap double ROI.
Hesitate not to comment
- If I missed anything out
- If you have any queries
- If you find this post insightful